Thursday, September 12, 2013

Thanks for the support

Over the past 24 hours I've heard from a number of people who wanted to express their outrage at the BCS press release issued yesterday.  People who attended the meeting know I didn't say what BCS alleges.  (For those who didn't attend, the video is up on the District website.)  I reached out to BCS yesterday for confirmation of the release, but they have not replied.  In any case, I appreciate the words of encouragement from so many folks.  Trust me, my skin is thick enough that this kind of crap is annoying, but it won't dissuade me from taking the right path.

Some have suggested that I should take legal action against BCS.  I haven't made up my mind yet.  The press release contains intentionally false and misleading statements.  Frankly, I thought that our community was above such smear campaigns. 

Regardless of their poor handling of me in the press release, I'm much more concerned about the quotes attributed to their Board members.  LASD is investing a tremendous amount of time and energy considering BCS's request for short-term improvements to their facilities offer.  Those requests would have significant impact on the broader community.  Lobbing caustic quotes into the public during that process does not build support for their position.  Further, the District has been crystal clear that our willingness to support changes to the current facilities agreement are tied to the BCS willingness to cooperate with us on a long term facilities solution.  Comments like this do not build confidence in the general public, and indicate a combative mindset from BCS.  I can only hope that cooler heads will prevail at some point.

Again, though, I want to thank everyone for the outpouring of support.  It is ironic that in their attempt to vilify me, BCS has triggered a strong showing of support.